Michael Tan is a neurologist, rehabilitation physician and a medical researcher, currently completing his PhD thesis in epilepsy epidemiology at the University of Melbourne.
Michael is a neurologist in the balance disorders clinic at Epworth Camberwell, the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne. His neurology interests include paroxysmal balance disorders, epilepsy, general neurology, headache and botulinum toxin treatment for chronic migraine, and impairment assessments.
After completing his medical training at the University of Melbourne, Michael completed his rehabilitation training in the areas of general, orthopaedic, amputee, acquired brain injury, neurological and spinal rehabilitation. His interest in acquired brain injury, neurological and spinal rehabilitation led him to seek the dual qualification as a consultant physician in neurology.
Michael underwent further subspecialty neurology training in epilepsy, neurophysiology and balance disorders. He was awarded the Adrian Paul prize in 2011 and the Epilepsy Society of Australia UCB Pharma clinical scholarship in 2012 to complete his epilepsy fellowship at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne. This was followed by the completion of a neurophysiology fellowship.
Michael holds a dual qualification as a consultant neurologist and rehabilitation physician at St Vincent’s Private and Epworth Hospitals. Michael has presented at international research conferences, most recently at the American Academy of Neurology annual scientific meeting. He has published in several peer-reviewed rehabilitation and neurology journals.
Michael supervises undergraduate students and is involved in teaching physician trainees in preparation for their exams. He holds professional membership with the Australia New Zealand Association Neurologists, Australian faculty of rehabilitation medicine, American Academy of neurology, American epilepsy Society, and the epilepsy Society of Australia. He is also a member of the International league against epilepsy.
Summary of Expertise
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2011)
- Fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine (2010)
- Member of the Australia New Zealand Association of Neurologists.
- PhD candidate (University of Melbourne). Proposed thesis title: The prevalence and risk factors for seizure-related injury in epilepsy.
- Balance Disorders Clinic, Epworth Camberwell
- Neurologist – Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
Balance disorders and ataxia service
- Neurologist – St Vincent’s Hospital (Melbourne)
First seizure and general neurology clinic, botulinum toxin injections for chronic migraine, ambulatory EEG reporting, general neurology ward service and on-call.
- Rehabilitation Physician – St Vincent’s Private (East Melbourne)
- Neurophysiology Fellowship – St Vincent’s Hospital (Melbourne)
Nerve conduction & EMG studies
- Epilepsy Clinical Fellowship – St Vincent’s Hospital (Melbourne)